This morning I chose the essential oil blend “Joy” for my morning meditation/prayer time. Last week as an attempt to become more emotionally and spiritually centered, I began this practice. My affirmation for today was “This is the day that the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it” (Psalm 118:24).
I have been pulled toward Joy more than any other oil lately. I don’t try to overthink this–according to Myers Briggs my personality type is a strong INFP, so it’s safe to say that I tend to listen to my feelings! I just assume that whatever oil pops into my mind first is the one my body and mind need the most right now. Joy certainly seemed like an appropriate choice.
Joy is such a pure emotion; I don’t know if there is any better feeling than experiencing true joy. Reflect on the times in your life that you’ve felt joy. Even just thinking about those times brings a smile–a peace. Joyful, joyous, rejoice…..wonderful words that have such a freedom to them. Children often show pure joy the best because they don’t have fear holding them back.
So as I sat this morning in the relative peace of MD Anderson’s 2nd floor ATC waiting area (early Sunday is the quietest time of the week), I wrote down things that bring me joy which brought to mind some other favorite quotes about joy which then led me to do an internet search for a few more. It was a perfect exercise, and despite the fact that I was sitting in a cancer hospital with my adored husband who isn’t feeling well, and despite the fact that I’m currently struggling through the days, I felt hope. And when you think about it, hope is a very close relative to joy. In fact, can there really be any joy without hope? I think not.
Here is a list of some of the quotes that spoke to me as I contemplated joy:
- “Beauty is whatever gives joy.” Edna St Vincent Millay
- “Drink deeply. Live in serenity and joy.” The Buddha
- May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
- “Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day.” Henri J.M. Nouwen
- “Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” Leo Buscaglia
- “Allow yourself to trust joy and embrace it. You will find you dance with everything.” Ralph Waldo Emerson